Sunday, December 21, 2008

Matinee Day. 42 Days 'Till Completion



My regular job these days is as a singer in a Christmas show. This being the holiday season and all, many opportunities abound for the singer/dancers of the world to land a gig singing Christmas carols and donning Santa suits and pairs of tap shoes. This Christmas, my husband and I are fortunate enough to work in Hershey, PA doing a nice little Christmas dinner show for the holiday season.

Our normal schedule consists of one show a night, with a call-time of around five o'clock. The past few days I've been able to focus on the cross-stitch almost all day long, save for intermittend bursts of playing Santa's Workshop and wrapping Christmas gifts, or doing laundry, or maybe eating a little lunch. Yesterday I logged four hours on the project and made very little visible progress. It amazes me how four hours of pouring over those tiny stitches yields such minuscule results. That's why I seriously wonder if getting it finished by January 31 is realistic.

According to my calculations, I need to complete three square inches of space every day. So far, I maybe have six days worth done, and I've been at it for 13. That means my pace is about half what it should be. I honestly don't know how I can work faster and not compromise accuracy and neatness. There is something of an art to this and I want it to look great, not sloppy. I am getting paid for this, after all!

We have two shows today, so my time will be less than usual. I'll post another entry at the end of the day. 'Till then, happy stitching...

No comments:

Post a Comment